A simple, warm, hearty and healthy soup, crammed with vitamin C, beta-carotene and plenty of antioxidants. Spinach is the perfect vegetable for keeping your immune system strong.
Serves 4 – Prep & cook time: 30 minutes
- 250g dried red lentils
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 2.5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 300ml (1/2 pint) hot vegetable stock
- 200g can tomatoes or fresh salad tomatoes (your choice, I chose fresh)
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 25g chopped coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 100ml coconut cream
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt, to serve
Put the lentils into a medium saucepan and cover with 900ml cold water. Bring to the boil, skimming off the scum as it rises to the surface and leave to simmer for 10 minutes until the lentils are tender and just falling apart. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for a further 2 minutes.
Stir in the curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the stock, lentils and their cooking liquid, tomatoes, spinach and coriander and season with salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes then add the coconut cream.
Blend the soup until it is pretty much smooth.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each with a spoonful of yoghurt, the remaining coriander leaves, pepper and finely chopped red chilli, if desired.
… and enjoy! (I would recommend a little bit of soft bread too) 🙂
If you would like to try out this recipe or even any other soup recipes now autumn is here and the nights are getting colder, you should definitely grab yourself a copy of the ‘100 Healthy Recipes – Healing Soups – Delicious Recipes for Body and Mind‘ recipe book (also where I found the recipe from for this yummy soup I managed to make myself).
I hope you have the best day & be happy.
Lots of love, Xandra Rose 🙂